Toronto, ON—May 5, 2023—Women in Film & Television Toronto (WIFT Toronto) and the Foundation for WIFT Toronto are pleased to announce the election of their new 2023-2024 Board of Directors. The announcement took place on May 4, at WIFT Toronto’s Annual General Meeting, which was held in-person for the first time in three years at the Rogers Communications building in Downtown Toronto.
WIFT Toronto welcomed first time board members Karthiga Ratnasabapathy, Head of Video, Apple and Anne Schneerer, Associate Vice President, National Bank of Canada. Also joining them are Laura Heath Potter, Head of Communications, Canada, Paramount Streaming and Julie Kumaria, Senior Vice President, Marketing and Content Distribution, Hollywood Suite, both transferring over from WIFT Toronto’s sister board, The Foundation for WIFT Toronto.
This year saw many re-elections including:
● Tracy Alves, Director, Strategic Partnerships & Engagement, William F. White International Inc.
● Sara Chan, Associate General Counsel, Head of Technology, Legal Operations and Rights Management, Corus Entertainment
● Jennifer Chen, Head of Studios, VP Content, Channel Zero Inc.
● Barbara Escoto, Vice President, Content Platforms, Bell Media
● Argie Eliopoulos, Director, Partnerships and Events, Canadian Film Centre
● Tanya Green, Head of Preschool, Mainframe Studios
● Umber Hamid, Chief Executive Officer, Partner, Boombox Sound
● Sharon Hinds, Manager, Rogers Sports & Media, All IN
● Terry Markus, Lawyer, Independent Business & Legal Affairs Consultant
● Sundra Sefa, Chartered Professional Accountant, CPA, CGA
● Karen Walton, Screenwriter/Executive Producer, Inkling Entertainment Inc.
Also during the Annual General Meeting, the Foundation for WIFT Toronto welcomed Emily Andras, Showrunner, Vilcabamba Pictures Inc.; Rhonda Britton, Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition, Cineplex; and Michelle Plaskon, Senior Director, Finance and Administration at Brunico Communications LTD to their board.
Additional re-elections to the Foundation board include:
● Kimberley Ball, Chief Communications Officer, Super Channel
● Fennella Bruce, Media Consultant, Producer, Writer, FKB Media Solutions
● Sue Haas, VP, Digital Media, Blue Ant Media
● Jenn Kuzmyk, Executive Director, Banff World Media Festival Publisher, Playback
● Nellie Lindner, VP, National Practice Leader – Film and Entertainment, BFL Canada
● Lindsey Scully, Head of Communications, Netflix Canada
● Jennifer Shin, Director of Development, Comedy, CBC
WIFT Toronto and the Foundation for WIFT Toronto extend a sincere thank you to the following outgoing directors for their significant contributions: Noora Abu Eitah, Sr. Director Innovation Management and Spark Development Planning, DDI, Hasbro, Inc.; Carolyn Allain, Account Manager, National Bank of Canada; Janet Chant, Chief Financial Officer, Casey House; Sarain Fox, Director/Host, Land Back Studios Inc.; and Sam Linton, VP, Head of Original Content, Blue Ant Media.
“We are thrilled to not only have Anne, Emily, Karthiga, Michelle, and Rhonda join the boards, while also having Laura and Julie continue to bring their expertise to the organization,” said Karen Bruce, Executive Director, WIFT Toronto. “These impressive leaders bring a wealth of unique insights and unmatched experience from across the industry, and I look forward to working with them as we continue to be a leader in building an equitable, inclusive, and accessible screen-based media industry.”
-30- ABOUT WIFT TORONTO Women in Film and Television Toronto is a member-based, not-for-profit organization made up of passionate individuals who are dedicated to the education, engagement, and empowerment of all individuals at every stage of their careers in the screen-based media industry. It is WIFT Toronto’s mission to build and advance the careers of their members by providing professional development, peer support, and mentorship in collaboration with industry partners. ABOUT THE FOUNDATION FOR WIFT TORONTO The Foundation for Women in Film & Television Toronto is a registered charity that plays a critical role in raising funds to provide financial bursaries, scholarships, complimentary memberships and other support to help WIFT Toronto to carry out its mission. Please consider making a donation here.
For more information, please contact:
Communications & Social Media Coordinator WIFT Toronto 647-895-3351 email@example.com